Better Than the Freezer Aisle
I am always dumbfounded when people ask me if freezer meals taste good. Or when they say that their husband refuses to eat freezer food. I usually start by asking, is this the same man that will eat a frozen pizza at 10 pm during the Monday night football game? Is this the same guy that fed himself on Stouffer’s Lasagna or Ramen Noodles during college? If your answer is yes to any of those, then I say it is time to revisit freezer cooking.
For some reason, we have this idea that homemade freezer cooking is going to take on some foreign taste, and we aren’t going be able to enjoy our favorite dishes. Let me assure you, when done correctly, freezer food DOES NOT have to be tasteless. Freezing will not ruin the dish. What it will do is allow you to enjoy a great tasting meal on a night that you have NO TIME to prepare a full, homemade meal.
Take one walk down your grocers freezer aisle. Chances are you do it on a weekly basis (or daily for some of you – hint it is time you became a member if it is a daily trip). You might even find yourself grabbing meals from this section to have as easy lunches. If the top food manufacturers have figured out how to do it and make it last up to a year on your grocers shelf, I ASSURE you, you can do it and make it last at least 3 months.
And the bonus? The BONUS is that YOU control the ingredients. YOU don’t have to add preservatives, extra sugar and additives to get it to taste good and last longer either. YOU can control what goes in and what doesn’t. Have a favorite dish from the freezer section but it has an ingredient you don’t like? Omit it! It is just that easy when you do it yourself.
For the next week, starting today, we are going to take you on a culinary journey down the freezer aisle. We are going to remake some of those dishes that you grab regularly and show you how you can make them just as tasty and at a fraction of the cost. Sound fun? We hope so.
Join us as we celebrate National Freezer Food Day and kick off our week-long series: Better Than the Freezer Aisle!
Our Better Than the Freezer Aisle Series features these recipes:
- Copycat Smart Ones Santa Fe Beans and Rice
- Copycat Kashi Soaked Multigrain Waffles
- Copycat Annie Chun’s Asian Chicken and Noodle Bowls
- Copycat Lean Cuisine Cranberry Chicken Pecan Salad Topper
- Copycat Stouffer’s Lasagna
- Copycat Eggo Waffles
- Copycat Kashi Mayan Harvest Bake
- Copycat Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Chicken Burgers
- Copycat Amy’s Mexican Tamale Pie
- Copycat Kashi Lemongrass Coconut Chicken
- Homemade Toaster Strudels
- Copycat Morningstar Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Biscuits
- Mock Jimmy Dean Sausage and Pancakes (GFDF)
- Mock Lean Cuisine Philly Steak and Cheese Panini
- Make Your Own Evol Fire Grilled Steak Quesadillas with Guacamole
- Copycat Smart Ones Fire Roasted Vegetable Soup (GF)
- Bertolli Chicken Alla Vodka and Farfelle