Slow Cooker Better Vegetarian Butter ‘Chicken’
Indian Butter Chicken is one of the few meaty dishes I drool over when we go to the Indian lunch buffet near our house. That sauce is freaking fantastic! So, over the years, I’ve been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to create a vegetarian version at home. It seems simple right? Butter chicken? Butter plus chicken. But no, it’s a mixture of Indian yumminess and yogurt over tandoori chicken. How do you emulate that? So when I found this delicious-sounding (and, maybe more importantly, simple sounding!) crockpot version, I knew I had to give it a shot!
Better Butter ‘Chicken’
Kristi @ onceamonthmeals.com Adapted from Dinner with Julie
- 1.33 cups cooked chickpeas
- 0.67 cups onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 0.67 tablespoons grated ginger
- 2.67 teaspoons garlic cloves, crushed
- 0.67 tablespoons chili powder
- 1.33 teaspoons curry paste or powder
- pinch pinch cinnamon
- 18.67 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1.33 tablespoons tomato paste (optional)
- 1.00 teaspoons garam masala (optional)
- 0.67 cups plain yogurt*
- 0.33 cups half & half or whipping cream*
- to taste salt and pepper
- steamed brown basmati rice, for serving*
Throw everything but the yogurt, cream, salt and pepper into the CrockPot, cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Uncover, stir in the yogurt and cream, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve hot over rice.
BEFORE cooking, divide all ingredients among gallon freezer bags. To serve: Thaw. Place in crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours. Add cream and yogurt. Serve over rice.
**conversion chart image provided by Erik Spiekermann