Freezable Sides: Baked Beans
This is a recipe my mother has been making for as long as I can remember. And in my adult life I have made them many times. I am not exaggerating when I say that every time that I make them people go nuts over them. I am asked to bring them back time and again. It could be the high quantities of sugar, or maybe it is the bacon. Who knows. They are just plain good which is all that matters.
Reisert Family care of onceamonthmeals.com
- 2 pounds canned pork & beans
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 0.5 cups ketchup
- 0.75 cups brown sugar
- 6 slices bacon, raw, sliced
- Empty 1 can of beans into 1/2 quart casserole dish (or 8×8 baking dish).
- Combine brown sugar and mustard and sprinkle half of mixture over beans.
- Top with the other can of beans and sprinkle with remaining brown sugar mixture.
- Lay raw bacon slices on top of beans in a single layer. Spread ketchup over the top of the bacon.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 2.5 hours.
Before baking, cover with foil and freeze. To serve: Thaw in refrigerator at least partially. Bake at 350 degrees for 2.5 hours or longer if partially frozen.