Gluten Free & Dairy Free Sausage and Peppers
As summer begins and farmer markets open, peppers will become more and more available. The colors are so wonderful and the flavor so fresh! Gluten & Dairy Free Sausage and Peppers pulls together very easily, yet packs a big punch of summer flavor for you to enjoy.
Our family likes Gluten & Dairy Free Sausage and Peppers served on it’s own with a salad, or over baked sweet potatoes, rice, quinoa, polenta or gluten free noodles. Sausage and Peppers also makes a great dinner sandwich when served on grilled or toasted gluten and dairy free buns (such as Noah’s Rolls).
Gluten & Dairy Free Sausage and Peppers
Angela @ onceamonthmeals.com adapted from Carol Kicinski @ simplygluten-free.com
- 4 gluten & dairy free Italian sausage links
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 cups onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 4 1/2 cups bell peppers (red, yellow or green) seeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup gluten free chicken broth (can sub tomato sauce or white wine)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Dice the sausage after first removing their casings. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, browning the sausage pieces. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Using the sausage drippings, add the onions to the pan, stirring to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the onions have started caramelizing and softening. Add the sliced peppers, garlic and Italian seasoning and cook until the peppers softened. Return the sausage to the pan add the chicken broth, tomato sauce or wine and cook until the sausage have heated through and the liquid has reduced. Adjust seasoning with some more salt and pepper if needed.
Allow to cool. Divide into lunch sized portions in freezer safe containers.
This Post will be linked at:
- Tempt My Tummy Tuesday at Blessed With Grace
- Tasty Tuesday at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
- Tuesdays at the Table with All the Small Stuff
- Delicious Dishes at It’s a Blog Party
- Tip My Tuesday at Tip Junkie
- Delectable Tuesday at Home Sweet Farm
- Dr. Laura’s Tasty Tuesday at Dr. Laura’s Adventures
- Angela’s Kitchen at Gluten Free-zer Friday