Healthy Mushroom Barley Soup
When it’s cold outside, I could eat a warm cup of soup almost every day! This Mushroom Barley Soup is one of my favorites! It’s a great way to get some much needed fiber in the diet as well as nutrients that come from the assorted vegetables in this recipe. The vegetable serving sizes are just suggestions so feel free to creative by adding different vegetables and quantities!
Christine @ onceamonthmeals.com
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup barley
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 parsnips, sliced
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about one hour, or until barley is thoroughly cooked.
Bring soup to room temperature and portion 1 cup servings into quart-sized freezer bags. To serve, thaw in refrigerator overnight, pour into bowl and heat in microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes.
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 cup • Calories: 186
Fat: 4 • Protein: 9 • Carbs: 24 • Fiber: 3.5 • WW Points +: 5
This Post will be linked at: