How to: Make Your Own Pumpkin Puree
Just a hunch, but I think we’re going to be seeing a lot of pumpkin recipes in the next few weeks. ;) Making your own pumpkin puree is so simple and inexpensive, you might as well grab a couple of extra while helping the kids pick out their perfect carving gourd.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the pumpkin in half, (or fourths if using a large pumpkin) trimming off the stem.
- Use a spoon to scrape out seeds and guts.
- Prick the flesh of the pumpkin with a fork, brush or spray lightly with canola oil and place flesh-down on a cookie sheet. (Lining the cookie sheet with foil makes for easier clean-up.)
- Roast for 45 minutes to an hour or until the pumpkin is fork-tender when pierced.
- Allow to cool, and peel off the skin.
- Puree using a food processor or blender, or mash with a potato masher for a chunkier texture.
- Portion into freezer bags or containers and freeze.
- Use in your favorite pumpkin recipes.
**Or check out this post: How to Bake a Pumpkin