Lighter White Chicken Chili
White Chicken ChiliA hearty bowl filled with chicken, green chilies and beans. This is a perfect meal as the temperatures begin to get cooler to warm you up and settle into fall.
Abbi @ onceamonthmeals.com
- 2 cups great northern beans, soaked overnight, drained
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces canned, chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 0.5 teaspoons dried cloves
- 0.25 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped jalapeno pepper
- 3 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half of the onions in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, about 3 hours. In a skillet, saute remaining onions. Add chopped green chiles, jalapeno and seasonings. Stir to combine. Remove from heat. Add chile mixture and chicken to beans. Simmer 1 more hour. Remove from heat and serve or proceed to freezing instructions.
Allow to cool, divide among pint size freezer bags. To serve, thaw and reheat.
Nutritional Information: Serving Size = 1 cup. Calories – 239, Total Fat – 1.4 g, Total Carbohydrates – 37.9 g, Protein – 19.2 g. Dietary Fiber: 11.9 WW Plus Points: 5
**conversion chart image provided by Erik Spiekermann