Simple, Crowd-Pleasing Vegetarian Twice Baked Potato Casserole
I LOVE twice-baked potatoes. They’re one of my big go-to foods for holiday gatherings since they’re nice and filling, and often meatless. But stuffing all those potato skins can be a bit of a chore if it’s just a meal for “the fam.” If guests are coming over, sure, consider putting a little extra effort into making cute little boats. Quick and simple is the name of the game for family weeknight meals and this twice-baked potato casserole, filled with cheese, creamy cheeses and crunchy fake bacon, is a family favorite. But it’s also a crowd-pleaser since you can dollop out the exact amount of gooey potato deliciousness you want instead of being oppressed by the strict confines of that single potato half!
Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Kristi @ onceamonthmeals.com Adapted from Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- 1.67 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 0.5 cups sour cream or yogurt
- 0.42 cups bacon substitute, cooked and crumbled
- 0.67 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 0.33 cups cream cheese
- 0.27 cups green onion, sliced thinly
- salt and black pepper, to taste
Bake the potatoes on a tray at 400°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool enough to handle. Prep other ingredients while potatoes are baking, set aside.
In a large bowl, add butter, sour cream, 2/3 of the cheddar, the cream cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Cut your somewhat cooled potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh in the large bowl. Set skins aside for another use. Use a potato masher or fork to combine the ingredients in the bowl, taste and season as you go.
Pile the mixture into a shallow casserole or pie dish, smooth the top and cover with “bacon,” onion as desired, and cheese.
Bake casserole at 350°F for about 20 minutes or until crusty and warm.
Bake potatoes, combine ingredients in baking dish. Cover and freeze WITHOUT baking casserole. To serve: Thaw. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
**conversion chart image provided by Erik Spiekermann
This Post will be linked at:
- Mouthwatering Mondays at A Southern Fairytale
- Monday Mania at The Healthy Home Economist (Real Food)
- Just Another Meatless Monday at Hey What’s For Dinner Mom? (Vegetarian)
- This Week’s Cravings at Veggie Converter