On April 4, 2011 by Kelly
Welcome to the Once a Month Meals Gluten Free Dairy Free Menu
We added our Gluten Free Dairy Free Menu in 2011 to assist the growing number of families who seek to remove these items from their diet. We aim to give those with Celiac disease, food allergies or sensitivities, or other health challenges a way to enjoy the convenience of freezer cooking minus the gluten and dairy! Since these two items are often both a problem, we created a combined menu.
However, if you only need to avoid one of these ingredients, you can easily adapt the recipes, or use our your membership to Once a Month Meals to create custom gluten free or dairy free menu.
On each menu you will find 15 recipes dinner recipes – all family friendly, and all gluten and dairy free.
Types of Food Included:
This menu will include recipes similar to those found on the Traditional Menu, but they will not contain gluten or dairy. To the best of our ability, we provide recipes that are naturally free of gluten and dairy. However, we will also include gluten free or dairy free substitutes such as GF hamburger buns or DF cheese. If you are looking for a menu with fewer processed/packaged ingredients, try our Paleo Menu. You may spend slightly more for our Gluten Free Dairy Free Menu than our more traditional menus, but we will try to balance this by keeping specialty items to a minimum and by including seasonal produce and sale items.
Here are some examples of main ingredients you will see in our GFDF menus:
- Variety of meats and seafood
- Seasonal produce
- Gluten free grains such as rice and quinoa
- Gluten free flours for baking (i.e. buckwheat, corn, potato, tapioca, and packaged GF mixes)
- Dairy substitutes such as almond milk, coconut milk, dairy free butter substitutes, and dairy free cheeses
- Note that if we include a packaged item that normally includes gluten, we will specify on the grocery list that you purchase the GF version. One common example of this is soy sauce.
Foods NOT Included:
- All grains containing gluten (wheat, barley, rye, non-certified oats, etc.)
- All dairy products
- Processed meats that contain gluten (i.e. sausages, bacon, or lunch meats)
- Packaged items containing gluten
- Packaged items containing dairy
- Specialty items with a high price tag or that are not family friendly
Tips and Resources for our Gluten Free Dairy Free Menu:
- There are a growing number of tasty GFDF recipes available on the internet, but be aware that sometimes we adapt recipes that are NOT gluten free and dairy free (but close) for use on a menu. While the link goes to the original recipe, you will see the appropriate changes on your menu resources.
- Packing Allergy Friendly School Lunches
- Allergy Friendly Holiday Recipes
- 5 Tips for an Allergy Friendly Holiday Gathering
- 25 Kid Friendly Gluten Free Recipes
- Celiac/Gluten Sensitivity and Your Child
- Gluten Free Whole Grains