Did you make a resolution to eat healthier this year? Why not start with breakfast? You’ve heard it before, and I’ll say it again: breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Don’t skip it! It gets your brain and your metabolism going, and it will always benefit your health and mood to eat something to start the day. If you ate something, that is progress. Keep up the good work. But we have some tips for a better breakfast, plus 50 healthy recipes to inspire you. The best part is, all of them can be cooked and frozen ahead of time!
5 Tips for a Better Breakfast
Plus 50 Healthy Recipes to Get You Started!
1. Eat Your Greens
The best way to hit your quota of veggies for the day is to start off with serving #1 at breakfast. I know that many of us prefer the sweetness of fruit, but greens are easily incorporated into smoothies and pair wonderfully with eggs and bacon. Spinach and kale are popular choices, and both are packed with nutritional goodies: iron, fiber, vitamins A, B, C, and K, calcium (important for those who are dairy free), folate, and trace minerals. The antioxidants in greens assist in detoxifying the body, which will help you feel better and boost immunity.
- Bacon and Kale Paleo Breakfast Casserole
- Paleo Strawberry Kale Coconut Smoothie
- Quinoa and Kale Mini Quiches
- Green Smoothie Bags with Yogurt
- Tropical Green Smoothie
- Tangerine Dream Smoothie
- Green Detox Smoothie
- Spinach Bacon Feta Frittata
- Green Supreme Smoothie
- Mini Veggie Frittatas
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Bacon and Spinach Breakfast Spiral
- Sweet Potato, Parsnip and Sausage Breakfast Hash
- Spinach Mushroom Breakfast Wrap
- Mediterranean Frittata Waffle Wedges
- Farmer’s Market Black Bean Breakfast Bowl
2. Beef it up with Protein
I love carbs as much as the next foodie, but there is no denying that they often leave me feeling hungry before it is lunch time. Protein keeps you full and makes your brain sharper, but it is also one of the building blocks of life! Your body needs it to build complex hormones, fight disease, and even build new cells. Don’t forget, you can add protein to an otherwise carb heavy meal – think eggs, meat, nuts or even beans.
- Paleo Sweet Potato and Sausage Egg Scramble
- Bacon Broccoli Quiche
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Simple Paleo Egg Cups
- Mexican Breakfast Burritos
- Sausage Skillet
- Paleo Chicken Apple Bacon Sliders
- Mexican Breakfast Pockets
- Bacon and Egg Cups
- Paleo Beef Sausage and Broccoli Egg Muffins
- Paleo Breakfast Sausage Patties
- Coffee Rubbed Steak Crepes
- Mixed Berry Protein Pops
- Bacon Cheddar Eggless Quiche
- Paleo Power Balls
- Paleo Breakfast Chicken Meatballs
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- Sausage Pear Breakfast Casserole
- Asparagus and Bacon Quiche
- Mini Banana Power Muffin
3. Switch to Whole Grains
Whole grains are less processed, meaning they contain more of their original nutrients, flavor, and they take longer to break down in your body, keeping you more full. Don’t just stop at whole wheat! There are many other whole grains to incorporate such as oats, buckwheat, or rice (all of which are gluten free.) Our Real Food menu uses only whole grains.
- Hearty Pumpkin Apple Muffins
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal
- Better than the Freezer Aisle: Copycat Kashi Soaked Multigrain Waffles
- Orange Infused Steel Cut Oats (Instant Pot Version!!!)
- Pear Bran Muffins
- Quinoa Carrot Breakfast Bars
- Carrot Cherry Breakfast Cookies
- Banana Flax Pancakes
- Gluten Free Dairy Free Nut Free Granola Bars
- Whole Grain Banana Pecan Muffins
4. Reduce Sugar Intake
Sugar is never your friend, but especially not at breakfast. Once that unnaturally sweet stuff hits your tongue, you will be craving it for the rest of the day. The previous 3 tips will really help you move forward into this one. Let greens, protein, and whole grains take the place of sugary cereals, drinks, and bars at your first meal. If you do eat something sweet, try fresh fruit or a fruit smoothie, or try making substitutions with natural sweeteners like honey and maple syrup like we have in these “makeover” recipes.
- Ginger Yogurt Parfait with Cinnamon Pears – Whole Foods Makeover
- Whole Foods Makeover: Lemon Coconut Muffins
- Whole Foods Makeover: Chewy Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
- Sweet and Sour Grapefruit Smoothie
- Watermelon Banana Smoothie
5. Make it Ahead!
This is the whole reason why Once a Month Meals exists: to help you freeze food ahead of time so that you can have both convenience AND wellness! Make your life easy by eating from the freezer. Reality proof your meal plan!
All of our featured menus include 3 breakfast recipes. Or you can cook one of our Breakfast Mini Menus just to get you started with this one, important meal. Of course you can customize any menu to include more breakfast options, or create your own breakfast menu!